Historical Firearms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical Firearms

My girlfriend’s grandfather let me take a look at this rifle. Don’t know much about guns this dang old. The stamp says Harpers ferry 1818 and is definitely the oldest gun I’ve ever held. Has anyone else had any experience with these old guns?

Wow, that's just incredible! Does it still fire?

Comment

WOW, awesome piece of history !!!!! I'd be all over the internet searching for info

Yep, as I suspected. Do a web search. LOT'S of info on that rifle.
      Last edited by Rose; 03-02-2021, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fredmckinnon View Post
        Wow, that's just incredible! Does it still fire?
        I’m not too sure if it fires. The rust on it is minimal and it still looks functional. Hes not a gun person so it’s been sitting in a closet for 50 years

Comment

Originally posted by Rose View Post
          WOW, awesome piece of history !!!!! I'd be all over the internet searching for info

Yep, as I suspected. Do a web search. LOT'S of info on that rifle.
          I looked at the raid on harpers ferry and where it came from but I’m trying to find enough information to convince him to loan it to a museum

Comment

Is it a 58 caliber?

Comment

Harper's Ferry was a armory. Brown's raid was sometime in 1859, the firearms at that particular armory were "Sharps Carbines". Without a full picture of the rifle, not sure of the caliber. I believe 58 caliber was popular during the Civil War. Definitely a heirloom worth holding on to

Comment

• TDOGClyde
                TDOGClyde commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe it is a 58 caliber. I’m pretty sure I saw a stamp on it with 50 something on it but I didn’t get a picture of it

You should ask if you can borrow it and we can test it out for uhh science 😎

Comment