• Show
Clear All

• Soft Plastic Storage - Four Ways To Keep Your Bait Organized

Click image for larger version

Name:	SoftPlasticEdit.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	719.9 KB
ID:	329

Keeping soft plastic baits organized is a dilemma we all face. But it doesn't have to be that way. I had the opportunity to field test four soft plastic storage systems this fall. Here are my thoughts.

The Plano KVD Speedbag Worm File Large is a lightweight and compact bag that's surprisingly roomy due to its expandable build. Manufactured with a TPE coating for water resistant protection, this model is designed to fit up to 40 bags of plastics.
    Fold this $23.84 bag down at the midriff when opened to easily peruse your plastics, made more visible against the bright red interior. A dual zipper design made accessing the bag a breeze, and a single Velcro divider keeps baits in check.
    The bag can be stored easily in a larger tackle tote or stuffed in a boat dry well without taking up valuable space.
    Dimensions: 14" L x 4.5” W x 5.5" H; Weight: 13.4 oz.

www.planomolding.com
    • compact size
    • lightweight
    • stylish
    • holds 40 bags

The Berkley Soft Bait Binder is similar in style to a laptop bag. Containing seven large clear ziplock bags inside, held in place by a pair of oversized O-rings, this system can hold up to 42 packs of plastics. Lacking bulk like a rigid box, this $24.99 binder does require more steps to access your baits - which can be a slight negative if in a rush to thread on a new worm or grub.
    The carrying handle was comfortable and large and the removable shoulder strap a nice perk.
    A large zippered front pocket conceals a hidden pliers storage slot, and four clear plastic zippered pockets inside can be used for terminal tackle or tools. A mesh zippered pocket in the inside back is designed for storing maps.
    Dimensions: 14” L x 9” W x 3" H; Weight: 1lb 10.5 oz.

www.berkley-fishing.com
    • space saver
    • additional storage for accessories
    • bonus shoulder strap
    • holds 42 bags

Flambeau's Super Half Satchel Soft Bait Organizer 4510 is a hard-plastic storage system that is simple in looks and design. Retailing for $22.62, this box features three removable Zerust dividers and has the capacity to hold approx. 30 packs of baits. The one-latch system ensures a secure and watertight fit, while the large and easy-to-hold handle made for hassle-free carrying.
    Stack this box horizontal or vertical, depending on your space constraints.
    Dimensions: 15" L x 8" W x 6.25" H; Weight: 1lb 13.8 oz.

www.flambeauoutdoors.com
    • economical
    • rust inhibiters
    • stackable
    • holds 30 bags

The Plano Edge Plastics is fresh on the scene, and going by first impressions, the bar has been set high. This accolade comes with a price, and at $52.89, it's a steep one.
    The box is roomy and wide, with two removable WaterWick dividers and five slots. I stored 30 packages of plastics without any issue. The crystal-clear lid made for easy scanning and the Dri-Loc O-ring ensures your contents stay dry. Side-mounted handles can be found on each end, although the recessed design could be a bit tight for those with thick fingers.
    Built like a tank, this box should weather all kinds of abuse flawlessly.
    Dimensions: 14" L x 9" W x 7.28" H; Weight: 2lb 12.8 oz.

www.planomolding.com
    • built tough
    • good looks
    • advanced water seal
    • holds 30 bags

Verdict
    All four storage systems performed as promised and kept my soft plastics neatly organized. Each model has beneficial traits, but in terms of choosing one type over another, it comes down to personal taste.
    If you have a large boat in which on-board space and storage isn't an issue, both hard plastic boxes work wonderfully. If space constraint is a concern, or if you fish from a kayak or on shore, the soft material bags might be more advantageous.
    Whichever you choose, soft plastic storage and organization is now more easier than ever.

NOTE: Prices Listed Are In Canadian Dollars

I needed to see this! I always have a messy tacklebox.

Comment

Originally posted by samcollinsworth View Post
      I needed to see this! I always have a messy tacklebox.
      The KVD bag was my favourite of the bunch, Sam. Nice and compact, holds plenty of bags of plastic, and lightweight. Also, a great price point. The other three I keep in the office to organize baits, but the KVD bag comes out in the boat each outing.

Comment