Random things in the woods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random things in the woods

I like finding random things in the woods. I often wonder the story they hold.

what have you found?

Years ago my 80 year old neighbor and I went for a walk on her property in the woods. She talked about years ago someone carved bible verses in several tree's on their property. We found the tree's. Pretty cool. Her and her husband never knew who carved them.

Comment

That’s awesome

Comment

I like finding animal tracks that I have no clue what they are.

Comment

TLO should also provide first aid kits.... i know id buy a few for my bug out bags

Comment

Originally posted by johnraz360 View Post
            TLO should also provide first aid kits.... i know id buy a few for my bug out bags
            Not a bad idea! I know we can resell them from another brand, never considered adding those to our site. Welcome, btw!

Comment

I run a survival kit and a first aid kits in all my hunting and hiking bags

Comment

I really enjoy finding old cartridges on the ground while hunting....it harkens back to the sheep-herder or old hunter who was there long before me, taking an antelope or deer, maybe a coyote to protect his herd. I've found older, no longer in production calibers out in the middle of nowhere. I've also metal detected old sheep-herder camps and found early 1900's coins, which I always love to find!

Comment

That’s awesome I thought about metal detecting.

Comment

These were up in the sawtooth mountains of Idaho near Mountain Home AFB

Comment

• Mtifft
                      Mtifft commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh wow so cool

Mostly I just find old glass bottles though

Comment

• Mtifft
                      Mtifft commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I usually find old homes and camps or chimneys

Two years ago, while searching for shed antlers, I found human remains. Yep. No word of a lie. Human skull laying on top of the snow, a scalp with long straight black hair (two feet away), and a big pile of clothes 10 feet further.
                    For all of the time I spend in the woods, I've always joked that one day I'd find a body. Sadly it came true.
                    Made a 911 call and the police responded within minutes.
                    Turns out it was a 28 year old who had went missing on New Year's Eve. I found his remains in April. That winter was a bad one for snow and cold temps., so my guess is the body was buried and as spring began to show, the coyotes got to it.
                    It was a suicide. I'm happy I was able to give the family closure. Still a bit of a weird feeling though. I returned this past fall to the exact spot to pay my respects.

Comment

Oh wow that’s a random one. I was past search and rescue member I have found more the I like of dead people in the woods.

Comment

Comment