Public Land Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Land Stories

Almost hooked up with a turkey yesterday morning, but I experienced one of the things I hate about public land, other hunters. Now I don’t mind seeing other people out hunting, but when they seem oblivious to other hunters or just trying to be a jerk it just makes me shake my head. Was calling in about 4 birds and were about 100 yards out. Next thing I knew another hunter walked right by my decoys making all kinds of noise. Next gobbles I heard and the turkeys had moved away and couldn’t get them to come back. Anyone else have public land horror stories?

Almost got shot by a idiot who came to my hen calls. Just looked at him, got up and left the area. I still hunt public land but get way back in. Have shot plenty of birds on public but you've got to be aware of what's going on!

Comment

• TDOGClyde
      TDOGClyde commented
      Editing a comment
      I was pretty far in as well. Really wasn’t expecting someone to come in but he probably came to my hen calls.

spooky part was, he came in ready to shoot. I was up against a big oak and he walked right by me. When he realized something was amiss he turned around and saw me staring at him. As I said earlier, I just got up and left.

Comment

You are more than a man than me ... I would've had words, and probably would've gotten my tail whipped.

Comment

• TDOGClyde
        TDOGClyde commented
        Editing a comment
        I love to see people out hunting but dang it, not in my spot and not while being unsafe.

You probably ought to be thankful he didn't shoot your decoy setup. The key word is "public" and extra precautions need to be taken.
      As for having words with the individual, just easier to go to another area than argue with someone who has a gun. It's already apparent they aren't very good turkey hunters, chastising someone isn't going to change anything. I would bet the individual didn't score a bird either.
      Every day hunting public is a adventure, stay with it!

Comment